WELCOME

Welcome to the ramblings of a pre-published saga writer

Tuesday 4 May 2010

The Eyes Have It

 I spent most of the day shopping for new specs; not one of my favourite past times I can tell you. Nothing seemed to suit me, it used to be so easy to choose, pay, wear. But now, it's all... varifocals, lense thinning (for me anyway) scratch resistant finish and on and on...

However, do you ever have one of those moments when you just know that something is for you?

Well, I had one when I wandered over to the designer range. Oh, be still my beating heart!

I told the assistant that I would just try them on for the hell of it... They beckoned me, I swear!

Once on I could not resist. I was sure they would be outrageously expensive and I was right when I saw the escalating numbers the assistant was keying in for the various 'needs' as above.

My heart began to bongo in my chest and I even had thoughts of doing a runner - not a gainly sight for a woman of my age - however, and I do buckle under flattery I can't help it I'm shallow, she said;

'Let me try them on you once more - Look at how they bring out the sparkle in your eyes - They were made for you.' Flannel? Yeah. How could I resist?

And they did knock off nearly a hundred quid for the 'free' sunglasses I didn't want. 

I justified the expense by thinking that I need to be kind to myself more often, and because I need them for work, and because I can't see a thing without them and, like a good haircut, a good pair of specs can do the power of good for your confidence - and they were (marginally) cheaper than plastic surgery! ;-)

And, surprise of the century, Him Indoors thought they were great and offered to pay half.
Now what's he after? Suspicious? Moi? You betcha!

speak soon, ta ta.

No comments: